Let’s discuss the Azure Database Migration Service Step-By-Step.
Table of Contents
Azure Database Migration Service Step-By-Step
Azure Database Migration Service is one of the excellent services from Microsoft that helps you automate your database migration process to Azure. With the help of the Azure Database Migration Service, you can easily migrate your database schema database objects to the Cloud.
How To Create Azure Database Migration Services
You can easily create the Azure Database Migration Services using the Azure Portal. Follow the below steps to create Azure Database Migration Services on the Azure Portal.
- Log in to the Azure Portal (https://portal.azure.com/).
- Now, search for the Azure Database Migration Services and click on the search result, as highlighted below.
- On the Azure Database Migration Services window, click the + Create button to create the Azure Database Migration Service.
Now, on the Create Migration Service window, Provide the below details
- Subscription: Choose a valid subscription that you want to use here.
- Resource group: Select an existing resource group you want to use here. If you don’t have an existing resource group, you can create a new resource group by clicking on the Create new link as highlighted below.
- Migration Service Name: Provide a unique name for your Azure Migration Service.
- Location: Choose a location.
- Service Mode: You can choose a service mode based on your requirements. Note that the Hybrid option is still on Preview.
- Pricing tier: Choose a pricing tier based on your requirements and usages. You can click on the Configure tier to select a different tier.
Once you have selected all the above details, click the Next + Networking>> button to navigate to the Networking tab.
- On the Networking tab, Provide a unique name for the Virtual Network name and then click on the Review + Create button.
Finally, you can see the Create button if all the values you provided are correct. Now click on the Create button to create the Azure Database Migration Service.
Now, you can see the deployment was completed successfully. Click the Go to Resource button to navigate the Azure Database Migration Service.
Create a New Migration Project
The next step is to create a new migration project. Follow the below steps to create a new migration project.
- Click the Go to Resource button to navigate to the Azure Database Migration Service you created above.
- On the Azure Database Migration Service page, click the + New Migration Project button to create a new Migration Project.
On the New migration project window, provide the below details
- Project Name: Provide a unique name for your migration project.
- Source Server Type: You need to select the source database server type. The options are SQL Server, MongoDB, MySQL, AWS RDS for MySQL, PostgreSQL, AWS RDS for PostgreSQL, etc.
- Target Server Type: You need to select the target database server type. The options available here are Azure SQL Database, Azure SQL Virtual Machine, Azure SQL Database Managed Instance, etc.
- Migration activity type: You must select the type you want to perform here. The available options are Data migration, Schema migration, and Create Project only.
To successfully use the Database migration service, click on each highlighted link below.
- Create the target Azure SQL Database.
- Use DMA to assess your on-premises SQL Server database(s) for feature parity and compatibility issues.
- Apply fixes and deploy the database schema to your target Azure SQL database using Data Migration Assistant (DMA).
You can also install the Database Migration Assistant using the above link.
Finally, click on the Create and Run activity button.
You can see the Azure Database migration project has been created successfully. As a next step, we need to create the New Activity.
Create a New activity using the Azure Portal
- You can click the + New Activity button on the Azure Database Migration Project window to create a new activity.
- Once you click the + New Activity button, you must click on the Data migration or Schema-only migration based on your requirement.
If you click on Data migration, you can see the below page
On the SQL Server to Azure SQL Database Migration Wizard, Provide the below details
- Source SQL Server instance name: You must provide your Source SQL Server instance name.
- Authentication Type: Select the Windows or SQL Authentication based on your requirements.
- User Name: Provide your User name to connect to the SQL server.
- Password: In the same way, provide your password.
Then click on the Next: SelectDatabases >> button to go to the next tab to select the DB details you want to migrate.
Similarly, it would be best to move to the other tabs to select the Target, Map to target databases, and Configure Migration Settings to complete the migration process.
Which Azure service provides the highest compatibility for database migration from Microsoft SQL
Answer: Azure SQL Managed Instance
In this article, we discussed Azure Database Migration Service Step-By-Step. Thanks for reading this article !!!
I am Rajkishore, and I have over 14 years of experience in Microsoft Azure and AWS, with good experience in Azure Functions, Storage, Virtual Machine, Logic Apps, PowerShell Commands, CLI Commands, Machine Learning, AI, Azure Cognitive Services, DevOps, etc. Not only that, I do have good real-time experience in designing and developing cloud-native data integrations on Azure or AWS, etc. I hope you will learn from these practical Azure tutorials. Read more.