In this Azure article, we will discuss all about Azure SQL Elastic Pool like what is Azure SQL elastic pool, how to create Azure SQL elastic pool, etc.
Table of Contents
Azure SQL Elastic Pool
Azure SQL Elastic pools are excellent solutions to manage and scale databases having unpredictable usage demands. This is a very cost-effective solution.
Here, you will get the option to optimize the elasticity and performance of a set of databases that are available inside the Elastic Pool, and mainly those sets of databases can leverage quickly based on the workload demand.
The set of databases inside the elastic pool can auto-scale based on the demand which in turn results in better performance.
How to create Azure SQL Elastic Pool
Follow the below steps to create SQL elastic pools in Azure.
Before proceeding further, make sure you have an Azure account. If not, then create an Azure-free account now.
- Log in to Azure Portal.
- Search for SQL elastic pools and click on the search result SQL elastic pools as highlighted below.
3. On the SQL elastic pools window, click on the + Create button.
Or, you can also click on the Create SQL elastic pool button to create the SQL elastic pool.
4. On the Create SQL Elastic pool window, provide the below details
- Subscription: Choose a valid subscription.
- Resource group: Select an existing resource group or you can click on the create new link to create a new Resource group.
- Elastic Pool Name: Provide a unique name for the Elastic Pool.
- Server: Select the server or you can click on the Create new link to create a new Server.
- Compute + Storage: Choose the SQL Service tier based on your requirement. Click on the Configure elastic pool link to modify and choose a different service tier.
To create a new server, if you will click on the Create new link you will get the below screen where you need to provide the details as mentioned below.
- Server name: Provide a unique name for the SQL database server.
- Location: Choose the location or region.
- Authentication method: You can choose the use SQL authentication option. You can also select the other two available options.
- Server admin login: Provide the admin user name for the login.
- Password: Enter a strong password.
- Confirm Password: Reenter the same password.
Then click on the Ok button to add it to the Create SQL Elastic pool screen.
If you click on the Configure elastic pool link for the Compute + Storage option, you will see the below options.
On the Configure window, click on the Pool settings tab and provide the below options.
- Service tier: Select the desired service tier option based on your need. You can click on the Compare service tiers link to compare the configuration for each service tier.
- Hardware configuration: Select the hardware configuration. You can click on the Change Configuration link to change the hardware configuration based on your requirement.
- vCores: You can drag the slider to increase the value of vCores based on your requirement.
- Data max size (GB): Set the max data size. You can drag the slider to increase the value based on your need.
- Zone Redundancy: Select the Yes or No option to enable or disable the Zone Redundancy option. By default this option is disabled.
Click on the Apply button.
After selecting all these values on the Basics tab on the Create SQL Elastic pool window, click on the Additional settings tab.
Maintenance window: Select the time for the Maintenance window. The default time is 5 pm to 8 am.
Let the other tab value as it is. Finally, click on the Review + Create button.
Then, click on the Create button on the next window to create the Azure SQL Elastic Pool and you are done with all the steps.
Now, it will take a few seconds and will show you, Your deployment is complete. Click on the Go to resource button to navigate to the SQL elastic pool that we have created.
Creating a new database in the SQL Elastic pool
You can create a new database in the Azure SQL Elastic Pool by clicking on the + Create database option on the SQL elastic pool window.
On the Create SQL Database window, Enter the Database name and choose the Backup storage redundancy option as per your requirement.
You can notice that the Elastic pool is the same SQL Elastic pool that we have created.
Click on the Review + Create button.
Finally, click on the Create button in the next window.
Adding an existing database to the SQL Elastic pool
You can also add your existing databases to the Azure SQL elastic pool using the below instruction.
- Click on the Configure button on the SQL elastic pool page.
- Select the Databases tab –> Click on the + Add databases button.
- On the Add Databases window, select the database you wish to add and then click on the Apply button.
- Finally, click on the Save button and you are done.
How to delete a database from Azure SQL Elastic pool
- Click on the Configure button –> Select the Databases tab.
- Select the database that you wish to remove –> click on the Remove from pool button.
- Click on the Save button to save the changes.
- You can able to see a message like “Your deployment is complete”.
How to delete an Azure SQL Elastic pool
Follow the below steps to remove the Azure SQL Elastic pool itself.
- On the SQL elastic pool page, click on the Delete button.
Before that make sure to remove all the available databases from the Azure SQL elastic pool. Else you will get the below error
Failed to delete the SQL elastic pool: SQL elastic pool name. ErrorCode: SqlPortalError ErrorMessage: Cannot delete 'SQL elastic pool name' because it contains one or more elastic databases. You must remove all databases before you can delete this pool.
You can see it here
Once, you will remove all the databases from the SQL elastic pool, simply click on the Delete button again.
Type the SQL elastic pool name to reconfirm the deletion process –> Click on the Delete button to confirm the deletion process.
The system will take a few seconds and will show you the successful message “Successfully deleted SQL elastic pool. “
You may also like following the below articles
- How to create an Azure SQL database
- How to backup Azure SQL database
- How To Change User Id And Password For Azure SQL Server Database
- How to get Azure SQL database connection string
- How to rename Azure SQL database
In this article, we discussed all about Azure SQL Elastic Pool. Thanks for reading this article !!!