In this Azure SQL article, we will discuss the quick steps to add an Azure Active Directory user or group as an Azure SQL Administrator.
Table of Contents
How to set an Azure Active Directory user or group as an Azure SQL Administrator
Before performing these steps, let’s discuss the Prerequisites needed here to perform this operation.
- You must have an Azure Subscription or Azure Account. If you don’t have it as of now, You can create an Azure free account now.
- You must have an Azure SQL database created. If you don’t have till now. try creating an Azure SQL database now.
- You must have a user or group created in your Azure Active Directory, If not as of now, try creating a user in Azure Active Directory now.
Assuming, you are ready with all the Prerequisites, Now, follow the below steps
- Log in to the Azure Portal.
- Search for SQL servers and click on the search result SQL servers under Services.
3. Click on the specific SQL servers from the list for the one you wish to set the Azure SQL Administrator.
4. On the SQL server page, click on the Azure Active Directory link from the left navigation that is present under Settings –> Then click on the Set admin button from the right side as per the below screenshot.
5. Serch for the Azure Active Directory user or Group and then select that user or group by checking the checkbox –> Then click on the Select button.
6. Finally, make sure to click on the Save button to save the changes.
Now you will see the successful message “Set the Azure Active Directory admin for ServerName: SQL server name” as below.
Now navigate to the Azure SQL database and click on the Query editor (Preview) link from the left navigation.
Now Log in with the Active Directory authentication with the administrator that we have set above.
Note: It might ask you to create the firewall rule. kindly click on that link to do so.
Now, you can able to see I am able to login successfully with the Azure Active Directory authentication.
Set an Azure Active Directory user or group as an Azure SQL Administrator – Video Tutorial
You may also like following the below Azure SQL articles
In this article, we discussed how to set an Azure Active Directory user or group as an Azure SQL Administrator. Thanks for reading this article !!!