You might have a question i.e., How to Stop SQL Azure DB when not in use. It is needed because there is no point in paying for the Azure SQL Database when you are not using it. Now, Azure SQL Database Serverless is the answer to the question of How to Stop SQL Azure DB when not in use.
Table of Contents
Azure SQL Database Serverless
Serverless is nothing but a compute tier that is especially for single databases that helps you to bill only for the amount of compute used per second, scales the resources based on the demand, and the most important point is that when your database is inactive, it pauses the databases. During that time, you will only be billed for the storage, not the compute.
The database resumes automatically with the next login or if anyone performs any activity in the database.
Cost Calculation for a Serverless Database
- The first and important point to note here is when the database is paused, you need to pay for the Storage, and during that time, you do not need to pay any amount for the compute.
- In the case of the Serverless Database, the total cost is the addition of the Storage Cost and the Compute Cost.
- Remember that the cost calculation for the Compute is based on a few factors if you have used the compute resources within the minimum and maximum limit, then the cost is based on the vCore and memory you have used. Whereas, if you have used the compute resources below minimum and more than maximum, the cost is based on the min vCores and min memory you have used.
- The storage cost is as usual: based on the storage you are using, you need to pay for that.
Best suits Scenarios for serverless compute
There are certain scenarios where the serverless compute best suits. Those are as below
- Single databases that are not continuous or steady
- Single database without usage history
- Single databases that are inactive for more time, etc.
Key Features Of Serverless Tier
There are a few key features that are available in the case of the serverless tier. Those are as below
It automatically scales the compute resources based on the workload or demand intern improves the performance.
Best Memory Management
In the case of a serverless database, the memory recovers frequently, which helps to control the cost. Manages the memory properly with the help of Cache reclamation and Cache hydration.
Auto-pausing is another very important feature of a serverless database. Suppose it will find the number of sessions = 0 and the CPU usage = 0 for the user workload running in the user pool. This mainly helps you to control the cost.
It resumes the database automatically in a few scenarios, like on the next login, in order to modify the threat detection settings, to view the auditing records, To add, edit, view sensitivity levels, To add, edit, delete, view data masking rules, To view, modify query store settings, To view or apply performance recommendations, In case of auto-indexing, To export a database, To add the new database tags, etc.
These are a few key features of serverless tier database.
In this article, we discussed the Azure SQL Database Serverless option. Thanks for reading this article !!
I am Rajkishore, and I have over 14 years of experience in Microsoft Azure and AWS, with good experience in Azure Functions, Storage, Virtual Machine, Logic Apps, PowerShell Commands, CLI Commands, Machine Learning, AI, Azure Cognitive Services, DevOps, etc. Not only that, I do have good real-time experience in designing and developing cloud-native data integrations on Azure or AWS, etc. I hope you will learn from these practical Azure tutorials. Read more.