In this AWS tutorial, we will discuss AWS Interview questions & answers. Ensure your Interview preparation is in a different direction with this set of frequently-asked AWS interview questions that we are presenting you with the detailed answers to.
Table of Contents
AWS Interview Questions & Answers
Basically, we have divided the set of interview questions into different categories as mentioned below that can help a fresher/beginner, an experienced professional, AWS Developer, or Admin to crack the interview easily.
- Basic AWS interview questions and answers
- General AWS Interview questions and answers
- Advanced AWS interview questions and answers
- AWS interview questions and answers for experienced
- Scenario-based AWS interview questions
Basic AWS Interview Questions and Answers
Well, here let us discuss a list of basic AWS interview questions and answers.
- What is AWS?
Answer: Amazon Web Services (AWS) is an excellent cloud platform by Amazon to fulfill the need for your cloud computing solutions.
AWS provides you with more than 200 services in terms of security, storage, networking, analytics, etc, and also as a developer you will get so many Developer tools that make your life easy.
It is a very much scalable and cost-effective cloud environment.
2. What are the different categories of services offered by cloud computing?
Answer: Nowadays, you will find many private and public clouds are available in the market. Below are the different categories of services that are provided by all cloud computing.
- SaaS: This is Software as a service. You just need to utilize the software without taking any headache for software maintanace.
- PaaS: This is Platform as a service. You will get a complete ready to use platform with all the hardwire and software loaded. You won’t bother about the maintainance of the whole platform.
- IaaS: This is Infrastructure as a service. You will get all the needed compute, networking and storage resources based on your requirement.
3. What are the main components of AWS?
Answer: Below is the list of a few key components in AWS that you should keep in mind.
- EC2 (Elastic Compute Cloud): On the situation when you will face heavy workloads all of sudden, EC2 is the one can help you to provide different computing resoure immidiately for hosting your applications.
- Route 53: An excellent DNS web service provided by AWS.
- S3 (Simple Storage Device): This is one of the most demanded storage device and AWS service.
- EBS (Elastic Block Store): This is one of the simple and high performed block storage by AWS. This storage mostly attached or connect to the EC2.
- CloudWatch: This is an excellent tool provided by AWS to monitor the AWS resources.
- IAM (Identity & Access Management): It helps you providing identity management and enhanced security for your AWS account.
- Amazon DynamoDB: A NoSQL database from amazon.
- Simple E-mail Service: An excellent service to deal with the Email communications.
4. What are the key services provided by AWS?
Answer: A list of a few key services provided by AWS.
5. What are the products offered by AWS?
Answer: Below is the list of a few most demanded products provided by AWS based on the cloud service types.
Computing Services: AWS Lambda, AWS EC2, Auto-Scaling, etc.
Storage Services: Amazon S3, Amazon Elastic Block Store (EBS), Amazon Glacier, etc.
Database Services: Amazon RDS, DynamoDB, Amazon Redshift, etc.
Networking Services: Amazon CloudFront, Route53, VPC, etc.
General AWS Interview questions and answers
6. What is S3?
Answer: Simple Storage Service also known as S3 is an excellent storage service that provides you with the opportunity to store or retrieve data at any amount of time from anywhere. There is no specific limit on the amount of data.
Another interesting point is, you need to pay based on the “pay as you go.” model.
7. What is Amazon CloudWatch?
Answer: Amazon CloudWatch is a very good service that helps you to monitor your Azure resources or applications very closely. It captures all the logs and events, etc.
Not only that, but it also helps you for setting the alarms, troubleshoot the issues, etc.
8. What is VPC in AWS and what is the full form of VPC?
Answer: Amazon VPC or Amazon Virtual Private Cloud provides you the opportunity to launch your AWS resources into a virtual network that you have defined as per your requirement.
By using the VPC in AWS, you have the provision to customize your network configuration based on your need.
9. What is SnowBall in AWS?
Answer: SnowBall is an application in AWS that mainly helps you to transfer a good amount of data in and out of your AWS environment.
10. What is VPC peering connection?
Answer: A VPC peering connection is responsible for creating a network connection between VPCs so that it will look like they are working on the same network.
11. What is AMI in AWS?
Answer: AMI or Amazon Machine Image is responsible to provide you with different information on how to launch an instance. The instances are nothing but the virtual servers in the AWS cloud.
12. List down the differences between Amazon S3 and Amazon EC2
Answer: Below is a few key differences between Amazon S3 and Amazon EC2.
|This is one of the most demanded storage devices or AWS services.||This is an excellent Amazon web service.|
|Helps you mainly for storing or retrieving data.||EC2 helps you to provide different computing resources immediately for hosting your applications based on the demand.|
13. What is Amazon Route 53?
Answer: Amazon Route 53 is a DNS web service that is highly available and scalable. The main uses are Domain registration, health checking, and DNS routing.
14. What is the name of the most popular storage service in AWS?
Answer: Amazon S3
15. List down different storage classes available in Amazon s3?
Answer: Below is the list of different types of storage classes available in Amazon S3.
- S3 Standard
- S3 One Zone IA (Infrequent Access)
- S3 Intelligent-Tiering
- Amazon Glaciers & Amazon Glacier Deep Archive
16. Name the default storage class in S3?
Answer: The default storage class in S3 is known as Standard Frequently Accessed.
Advanced AWS interview questions and answers
17. Define Key-Pairs in AWS?
Answer: Basically, you need a key-pairs to connect to an Amazon EC2 instance. Now, if you will analyze a little depth, the key-pairs actually contain a public key and a private key as the security credentials that you need when you will connect to the Amazon EC2 instance.
18. Can you explain, What is AWS Lambda?
Answer: AWS Lambda is basically a serverless compute service that can help you to run your code without bothering about the servers.
19. What is Amazon ElasticCache and What is the use of Amazon ElasticCache?
Answer: Amazon ElasticCache is an excellent caching service and it is used to improve the performance and speed up your application.
20. What are the different types of AMI in AWS?
Answer: Mainly, there are two types of AMI available in AWS.
- EBS-backed AMI
- Instance store-backed AMI
21. Define the link between AMI and instance?
Answer: You can able to launch multiple types of instances from one AMI. This is the main relation between an instance and AMI in AWS.
22. By Default, how many buckets can you create per AWS account?
Answer: You can create up to 100 buckets for each of your AWS accounts by default.
23: What is geo-targeting in CloudFront?
Answer: Consider a scenario, where you want to create customized content for some specific target audience based on their demand based on some specific geographical area, In this type of scenario geo-targeting in CloudFront, helps to show their specific customized contents to some specif target audiences in different-different locations and the important point is, it doesn’t change its URL.
24. List down some AWS services that are not region-specific?
Answer: Below is a few AWS services that are not region-specific.
- Route 53
25. What is the limit of the S3 bucket?
Answer: The limit is maximum up to 5TB as of now.
26. What is AWS DMS?
Answer: AWS DMS or AWS Database Migration Service helps you to quickly migrate your database to AWS cloud. It is highly secure and the main point is very little downtime so that it won’t affect your business.
27. What is guard duty in AWS?
Answer: Basically, it is a threat detection service that helps you to monitor your AWS accounts very closely to check if there is any malicious activity and provides you with a report that helps you to quickly fix in case of any issue.
28. Define Bucket in AWS?
Answer: If you want to store any file or any metadata(Objects) on Amazon S3, then you need to create a bucket, that is nothing but a container for your objects. Once your bucket creation is done, you can upload the object to the bucket.
29. What is CloudTrail in AWS?
Answer: AWS CloudTrail is an excellent service that helps you monitor and audit all your account activity in your AWS infrastructure.
Inside the CloudTrail, it records all the actions of the user or AWS service or role as an event.
30. What is AWS Config?
Answer: AWS Config service mainly helps you to identify in case of any configuration changes in your AWS environment. Provides you notifications on the configuration changes.
31. How to send a request to Amazon S3?
Answer: You can use the REST API or AWS SDK wrapper libraries to send a request to Amazon S3. It is quite easy.
32. Define T2 instances?
Answer: T2 instances mainly help you to provide a baseline CPU performance and it has also the ability to provide high performance i.e above the CPU baseline based on the demand by your workloads.
T2 instances are also known as T2 types in AWS.
33. What is the regions and availability zones in Amazon EC2?
Answer: Regions are the geographical locations where Amazon EC2 is hosted. Availability zones (AZs) are the isolated locations within the regions.
34. What is the role of the Security Group in Amazon EC2?
Answer: In the case of Amazon EC2, the Security Group helps to control the traffic (Both incoming and outgoing) like a virtual firewall.
You can specify your own security group and if you are not specifying any security group then Amazon EC2 uses the default security group for you.
AWS interview questions and answers for experienced
35. What is the role of Buffer in AWS?
Answer: The primary role of Buffer is to control the traffic in critical situations. If you will see a little depth, Buffer synchronizes different components and those are responsible to work seamlessly to provide speed services that intern helps to control the traffic by receiving the requests and processing them very quickly.
36. Define Edge Location in AWS?
Answer: Check out What Is Edge Location In AWS now.
37. List down the different types of instances in Amazon EC2?
Answer: Below is the list of different types of instances in Amazon EC2.
- General Purpose
- Memory Optimized
- Computer Optimized
- Storage Optimized
- Accelerated Computing
38. Define Amazon Elastic Transcoder?
Answer: An Amazon Elastic Transcoder is an excellent AWS service that helps you to change the format and resolution of your Videos so that they will run on your mobiles, tablets, etc without any issue.
The Elastic Transcoder tool is very simple and easy to use.
39. Define Elasticity In AWS?
Answer: The process of getting the resources dynamically when you need them and then releasing the resources when you do not need them is known as elasticity.
You can check out What Is Elasticity In AWS? for more details.
40. Define EFS in AWS?
Answer: Amazon Elastic File System or EFS is a serverless file system that provides you with the opportunity to share data without taking any headache on how storage is getting provisioned.
41. List down the difference between EFS and EBS?
Answer: Check out the difference between EFS vs EBS now.
|AWS EFS is a file storage service.||EBS is a block storage service.|
|Best to use when you have a requirement of using a shared file storage option.||When you have a single instance and you have the requirement to use a best-performed storage service, there EBS is the choice for you.|
|This is highly scalable.||EBS is hardly scalable.|
|Slower as compare to EBS.||EBS is faster than EFS.|
|Accessible to multiple EC2 instances.||This is not accessible to multiple EC2 instances.|
|The Data that you have stored in AWS EFS stays in the region.||Here, it is the same Availability Zone.|
|EFS is highly available.||It is 99.99% available.|
|No limit||In the case of EBS, 16 TB is the maximum storage size as of now.|
42. Explain Subnet in AWS?
Answer: Subnet in AWS is the logical division of a larger network in to smaller network segments.
43. What is the number of Elastic IPs is allowed to be created by AWS?
Answer: In each of your AWS accounts, you can able to create 5 Elastic IP addresses.
44. What is the need for Roles in AWS?
Answer: Roles are like users and help you to provide access to the AWS resources that have identities outside of AWS that can be trusted within your AWS account.
45. Define Amazon SimpleDB?
Answer: Amazon Simple DB is a NoSQL data store. One benefit is this is highly available and your data is automatically indexed.
46. Define Auto-Scaling in AWS?
Answer: Auto-scaling is an excellent feature of AWS that helps you monitor your applications closely adjust capacity in terms of resources based on the demand and even twists new instances if needed to make sure your application performing well without any issue.
47. What do you mean by terminating and stopping an EC2 instance? or, List the differences between terminating and stopping an EC2 instance?
Answer: Well, the major differences are as below.
|Terminating an EC2 instance||Stopping an EC2 instance|
|Exactly the same as deleting an instance.||Exactly the same as shutting down your Amazon EC2 instance.|
|Not possible to restart the instance.||The instance can be restarted whenever you need it.|
|You can get back the volumes attached here.||It’s not possible to get back the volumes attached here.|
48. List down the different types of Load Balancers in AWS?
Answer: Below is the different types of Load Balancers in AWS.
- Classic Load Balancer
- Application Load Balancer
- Network Load Balancer
49: What do you mean by Connection Draining in AWS?
Answer: The connection Draining feature in AWS helps you to complete the in-progress requests by enabling the servers that you are going to remove or update.
If the Connection Draining is not enabled, then the moment you will try to remove or update the server, the in-progress or pending request will go off immediately and it might throw you an error also.
This is an important feature of the load balancer that will make sure you won’t lose any request or service.
50. Define NAT Gateways in AWS?
Answer: NAT Gateway is an AWS service that helps you to connect to the Internet from your instances with the help of a private subnet in Amazon VPC.
It is a fully managed service by Amazon and it is highly available.
Scenario-based AWS interview questions
51. In which scenario, you will use Classic Load Balancer and when you will use Application load balancer?
Answer: When you want to use the Load Balancer for load balancing the traffic for multiple EC2 instances, use Classic Load Balancer for that scenario.
When you have the scenario where you want to load balance more than one port on the same EC2 instance or if you want to route traffic to more than one service in that case better to use Application Load Balancer.
52. Which Amazon service will you choose if you want to move petabytes of data in and out of AWS?
Answer: I will prefer to use AWS Snowball in this case.
You may also like following the below articles
Well, here in this Azure tutorial, we discussed Top 50 AWS Interview Questions and Answers latest, Top 50 AWS Interview Questions and Answers, AWS interview questions and answers for experienced, AWS interview questions and answers 2022, AWS interview questions and answers. Apart from this we also discussed Basic AWS interview questions and answers, General AWS Interview questions and answers, Advanced AWS interview questions and answers, AWS interview questions and answers for experienced, Scenario-based AWS interview questions.
Now Wish you all the Best for your Interview!!!!!